Mount Rural 1935, The Snow Collection, The Museum of Old Newbury
The first house was built by Jacob Toppan, who bought the land from Jeremiah Person, Jr. in 1764. Josiah Smith took down the old mansion house and built a new mansion and at that time he probably named it “Mount Rural.”
Dr. Ebenezer Hale bought Mt. Rural in 1846. His widow, Sarah White Bannister Hale (who is on the 1851 map) gave the property in her will to Captain Joshua Hale, in 1880. Captain Hale gave it to his Daughter Alice L. Atkinson.
Alice L. Atkinson sold the house and the land to the City of Newburyport in March 1935. The mansion was torn down and Newburyport High School was built.
History compiled from “History of Newburyport, Mass: Volume 2,” by John J. Currier and Salem Deeds.
Check Out The Interactive History Map
More information about Newburyport and its history can be found on the interactive history map, “Newburyport – Keeping the Story Alive.”
Mt. Rural Puzzle
Press the icon to play the puzzle on a full screen or tap here to expand the image.